Muscle Sport Magazine

Jay Cutler Reclaims the Mr. Olympia Title, Branch Warren Runner-Up

Becoming the first to reclaim the Mr. Olympia title, Jay Cutler defeated what has been called the deepest line-up in the contest’s history. The Las Vegas resident was the clear-cut fan favorite and obviously impressed the judges just as much.

“Everyone wrote me off,” he said on stage right after the announcement. “It’s a huge achievement for me. At 36 there’s a lot of gas left in the tank for me.” Cutler speculated about winning a fourth Sandow, but followed that up by saying he wanted to enjoy this one first.

The defending champion, Dexter Jackson, fell to third place while Branch Warren, who appeared to be in fantastic condition at the pre-judging, finished as the runner-up, a huge accomplishment for him. 2009 Arnold Classic champion Kai Greene placed fourth, a bit of a surprise as he was said to be a sure-bet top three candidate. Phil Heath did not have nearly the same physique that he brought to the desert a year ago and fell from third to fifth. The 29-year-old nearly had to drop out of the contest due to a stomach illness that he suffered on Friday and lost a lot of traction during the pre-judging that he could not make up.

Although he had hoped for a better placing, Victor Martinez taking sixth should be viewed as a plus. The Dominican Dominator has had to come back from not only a serious knee injury but a family tragedy and it was quite an accomplishment for him just to be here, let alone make the top six.

Rounding out the top 10 were:

7th – Ronny Rockel – came in to the show better than he ever looked and could have easily slipped into the top six

8th – Toney Freeman – The X-Man went from fifth to eighth and at 43 does not have many more chances

9th – Hidetada Tamagashi – A great placing for the youngster from Japan. A rising star in this sport.

10th – Moe El Mouussawi – Another undeserved top 10 finish for him

1. Ilhan

September 27, 2009 at 5:21 am

Very good Jay! He deserved it.

2. George Day

September 27, 2009 at 8:14 am

Now now Joey, you might be the same size as an elephant but you definitely dont share its long memory!
    First to reclaim the sandow???
    Surely you’re forgetting Arnie’s comeback in 1980 four years after he lost the title!?
    In the words of Lee Haney…

3. Joe Pietaro

September 27, 2009 at 5:37 pm

Sorry, my friend. But I stand by what I wrote because it is 100 percent accurate.

Arnold retired in 1975 as champion and came back in ’80 only to win it again.

Arnold never lost an Olympia after he won. Retiring is certainly not the same as being on stage and getting beat.

So, yes, Jay made history by becoming the first bodybuilder to be defeated and reclaim the Sandow.

And another thing – why am I the “same size as an elephant,” George? I may not be in the shape I was in 20 years ago but for 42 I feel that I look pretty damn good.

So there’s only one of that can be classified as “amateur” in this instance and it sure as hell is not me!

4. George Day

September 28, 2009 at 9:45 am

Ok Joe – the word reclaim simply means to claim back with no reference to whether something was lost or given up. You can defend your statement semantically but it still just looks like you forgot about the ‘Oak’

Anyway being compared in size to an elephant would be a compliment to a bodybuilder!

5. Joe Pietaro

September 28, 2009 at 2:00 pm

I was far from the only one saying that Jay was the first to reclaim the title, as it has been all over the muscle sites as such since it occurred. The live webcast from was saying the same thing.

I see what you’re saying, though.

Anyway, how could I ever forget the ‘Austrian Oak?’ Of course I didn’t but his situation did not fit into the criteria of Jay winning after Dexter took it from him a year ago. A better question should be how could you say that Arnold lost?

Whatever. It doesn’t really matter. A great Mr. Olympia show is in the books and next year can’t come fast enough for me.

Thanks for the compliment, but I’m far from a bodybuilder. Just a sportswriter that wants to try and turn back the clock.

6. George Day

September 29, 2009 at 7:04 am

Guess my own error is pretty glaring! I just don’t think that everybody making the same mistake makes something right, although I accept that the situations discussed do differ.

“First to reclaim the title after having been defeated” would be my wording but, yeah, it’s just arguing about words at the end of the day. Thanks for taking the time to reply to my comments

7. kahar charmis

January 26, 2010 at 4:24 am

m smll body builder..
    m indan cityzan..
    i like your body & i will try big body byilder so plz your help sir my body wigth=202lbs hight=5′.11″ ,my body fat=14 ,my arms=18″ my thaghs=23″ ,so my gol is farfact body builder so plz help exersic routin & dite…plz sir help help